Sunday 6 September 2009

"The Black Yellow Night" - Grandpa Model

As I said before, these posts are to show you the process of the clay animation "The Black Yellow Night". I wanted to do this because when researching how to go about making my own animation i found great resources on the internet, which helped greatly in my planning of an amateur, low budget production. i am very grateful to those who share their process and not just the end product, so i wanted to make some of my own workings avaliable for other artists who may be at the same stage as me in creating their own animations.
Plasticine Model Head of 'Grandpa'

In this post i would like shed some light on how i made the grandpa character. As with the 'boy' character and the 'giant wasp', this model is finished in plasticine. i used the readily available and relatively cheap brand of plasticine called Newplast (£1.80 for 500g at my local art shop). Sculpting the head and face of the 'Grandpa' was pretty much a case of trial and error. I would start with a ball of plasticine and mold the ball into a face shape that i liked, then using wooden tools i sculpted the finer details of the face. I went through this process at least 7 times before I sculpted a 'Grandpa' that i liked.

The armatures of the Grandpa, Boy and Wasp were made using a mix of armature joints supplied by Armature FX and my own wire/putty combination for the bones. I chose to use the modular joints supplied by Armature FX because they are a lot cheaper than ordering an armature of your own design from a professional company and they are very adaptable.
Armature of 'Grandpa' with a built up plasticine belly and shoulders
Armature of 'Grandpa'behind
fully clothed Grandpa

No comments:

Post a Comment